Symrise is a global supplier of fragrances, flavorings, cosmetic active ingredients and raw materials, as well as functional ingredients. Its clients include manufacturers of perfumes, cosmetics, food and beverages, the pharmaceutical industry and producers of nutritional supplements or pet food.
Symrise is aware of the importance of sustainable development and therefore developed a comprehensive program by defining clear targets at all manufacturing sites to avoid, reduce and mitigate social and environmental impacts at the local level and in the following manner:
A senior manager responsible for environmental management is nominated at each site. This manager aims to reduce the environmental impact of activities, products and services in the framework of a site specific environmental program considering local legal changes. Significant environmental impacts are identified and assessed. This includes:
- Water (potential impacts of water use on availability, covering the evaluation of sites located in water-stressed areas)
- Wastewater (potential impacts of wastewater generation on groundwater or surface water)
- Energy and electricity consumption
- Natural gas and fuel oil consumption
- Steam consumption
- Biodiversity (potential impacts on protected areas)
- Potential pollution risks such as odor, dust, exhaust air during storage, transport and disposal
- Use of hazardous and non-hazardous materials
In order to avoid and reduce the potential above mentioned environmental impacts at our sites, Symrise
- measures environmental data at all manufacturing sites according to local laws and based on standards like ISO 14001, ISO 50001, Global Reporting Initiative and customer requirements
- measures environmental impacts of raw materials and products with a corporate environmental footprinting tool
- implements and optimizes management and operating procedures with related specifications and work instructions related to the impacts mentioned
- implements measures in order to minimize all relevant emissions on climate, water, soil, biodiversity and the people living in our neighborhood
- provides training towards our staff.
Finally, every site is requested to set environmental targets on the basis of the environmental aspect analysis and relevant standards, e.g. ISO 14001, ISO 50001 or the global reporting initiative set of indicators.
As a basis for continuous improvement at the global level, we check and control our environmental aspects with an integrated EHS monitoring system tailored to the needs of Symrise and our stakeholders.
Compliance with management guidelines and country-specific legislation is reviewed by the internal IMS and corporate audit teams on a regular basis. The annual audit plan takes every management process into account. Internal IMS audits are carried out in accordance with ISO standard 19011. Regular external audits conducted by customers, authorities and independent certification organizations confirm the ongoing improvement of Symrise’s management systems.
Health and Safety Policy
Symrise is a global supplier of fragrances, flavorings, cosmetic active ingredients and raw materials, as well as functional ingredients. Its clients include manufacturers of perfumes, cosmetics, food and beverages, the pharmaceutical industry and producers of nutritional supplements and pet food.
Symrise is aware of the importance of the health and safety of its employees and stakeholders and therefore developed a comprehensive health and safety program related to all manufacturing sites. This program is based on the following points:
- Each manufacturing site has a senior manager and a committee, both including management and, where applicable, employee representatives, responsible for health and safety management.
- There are written procedures to identify and assess health and safety risks in place, on how to maintain and safely use equipment during storage, use and disposal of hazardous materials. In addition, there are written procedures and training records on emergency evacuation drills at every site.
- All employees receive health and safety trainings customized to their job profiles
- Each manufacturing site maintains a complete list of all chemicals used. All those chemicals are shipped together with corresponding material safety data sheets (MSDS) in languages.
- Shower/washing and first aid facilities are provided to every employee working with hazardous materials
- All containers for hazardous materials are labeled with instructions on storage, usage and disposal in the corresponding local language
- Unlimited access to drinking water is provided to every employee.
- IMS and corporate audits ensure compliance with country specific legislation and management guidelines.
Every process within the Integrated Management System is by the annual audit plan. Internal IMS audits are carried out in accordance with ISO standard 19011. External audits conducted by customers, authorities and independent certification organizations confirm ongoing improvement of Symrise´s management systems
If you have any questions, suggestions or comments to make about our sustainability efforts, we are at your service.