Our expertise in Scent & Care is most notable in the capabilities of our research teams. Our scientists push the boundaries of creativity by working with the most cutting-edge equipment, often developed within our own company. By working with the brightest minds in perfumery science, we have access to a broad spectrum of in-depth knowledge – ranging from analytical chemistry, sensory analysis, organic synthesis, micro-, cell- & molecular biology to biotechnology, phytochemistry and natural product processing. This focuses our research efforts on five specific platforms:
- New Molecules & Green Chemistry
- Release Systems
- Malodor Management
- Sensory Innovation
NEW MOLECULES & GREEN CHEMISTRY
Organic chemistry is key to the creation of unique perfumery ingredients. We use the latest methods with a strong focus on Green Chemistry. By employing modern chemical methods, such as catalytic systems instead of classical methods, and establishing new technologies, such as multiple parallel syntheses and micro-reactor technology, we can create value for our customers as well as for the planet. Waste prevention and the reduction of auxiliary substances are critical parts of our strategy when designing chemical synthetic routes.
We are proud to be supported in the following areas by our academic and industrial network partners:
1. Backward Integration: we believe the strategic use of raw materials leads to more transparency, a higher grade of sustainability and better socio-economic value.
2. New, Unique Molecules: through the principles of green chemistry, we embrace the regulatory and environmental challenges of bringing new ingredients to the market in fragrances as well as cosmetics.
3. Naturals: we are constantly on the search for new plant sources, in places such as such as Madagascar or the Amazon where we consistently comply with the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
Bioactives are the ingredients that make cosmetics and oral care products work. And it’s where our comprehensive life science expertise really shines. We are relentlessly pushing the boundaries in the following fields:
- Molecular Biology
- Receptor Research
- Skin & Scalp Biology
- Dermatology (through our scientific advisory board)
- Hair Biology & Physics
And the world is noticing. A few of the areas where we have already received innovation awards include anti-irritants, antibacterial substances, anti-aging substances, fat metabolism, photoprotection, environmental pollution protection, skin-lightening or darkening actives and sensory ingredients.
A person’s most exquisite fragrance experience is made possible by release systems such as encapsulation technology, which allows for the the long-lasting, controlled release of fragrances at moments that matter most. This and other innovative types of fragrance delivery systems are developed at Symrise research centers around the world.
An exciting range of capsules is available for different purposes:
- Actipearls® allow a person to visualize the active component in personal and home care products
- Symcaps® deliver scent to fabric or skin and break easily upon contact, releasing fragrance in conjunction with touch
- Incaps® release the fragrance when in contact with moisture or water
Fragrances create positive emotions. Malodors do the opposite. And one of the most important features of many fragrances in household or personal care products is the ability to overcome malodors, for an uplifting experience of freshness and cleanliness.
Proprietary Neofresh® technology overcomes an array of malodors through a four pronged approach based on cutting-edge technologies, proven by analytics, as well as the most important judge of effectiveness, human sensory testing:
- perceptional integration
Ultimately, we develop fragrances for people, and as such their sensory evaluation is critical to our process. Our goal is to objectively measure the olfactive performance of raw materials and fragrances across consumer relevant parameters. Established and cutting-edge sensory techniques allow us to reliably measure product performance throughout a broad range of categories, applications and consumer experiences. This effort helps our customers to benchmark their products as well as substantiate claims.